Dallas Smith, President of the Nanwakolas Council and the Conference Chair of the 2021 Indigenous Resource Opportunities Conference, is proud to welcome you to meet, learn and gain insight at the event.
Delegates gain first hand insights into developing positive relationships between Indigenous communities and the resource sector based on a foundation of trust, respect, and mutual commitments to share benefits and create economic certainty. Discussions focus around how to:
- Explore opportunities for Indigenous communities and resource companies to work in a more cooperative and beneficial manner;
- Explore best practices in economic development and partnerships between First Nations and the resource sector;
- Gain firsthand practical knowledge from successful partnerships resource developers in a variety of sectors including minerals and mining, aquaculture, and power producers;
- Gain understanding of Indigenous culture, heritage and intimate relationships with the land and its resources; and
- Explore impact benefit agreements, joint ventures, and resource sharing partnerships.
In 2008 informal discussions occurred between the Nanwakolas Council, Vancouver Island Indigenous, community and business leaders, and representatives from the Province of BC. The discussions related to the need to host an event featuring the opportunity to share the success that can occur when Indigenous communities, governments, resource developers and business leaders work together. As a result a decision was made to create, the Aboriginal Peoples Resource Opportunities Conference. The event was hosted in 2009 at the Campbell River Indian Band’s meeting facility resulting in good support and strong interest in the vision. The success in 2009 led to the need to expand capacity, and the 2010 and 2011 Conferences were hosted at the Vancouver Island Conference Center in Nanaimo, BC. The Conference was successfully revived in May 2019 with over 200 attendees.
Explore the previous conference agendas:
- January 2009, Campbell River, BC
- May 2010, Nanaimo, BC
- May 2011, Nanaimo, BC
- May 2019, Nanaimo, BC
- October 2020, Virtual
The conference is back in 2021 with the key theme being the successful partnerships that bring significant benefits to Indigenous communities, resource developers, businesses and all levels of Government.